Knox Design Strategy is a boutique design studio located in midtown Manhattan that specializes in branding and digital design for professional services firms. We have a fully-integrated, collaborative and supportive team comprised of internal design professionals and external professionals in key functions, such as copywriting and technology development. Our nimble approach to work each and every day meets the challenge of infusing unique creative solutions into the work of our more serious-minded clients. We also believe in having some fun along the way and want to genuinely like and learn from the people with whom we work.
Why join us?
We understand the true value of our employees – if we take care of our employees, they will take care of our clients. At Knox Design Strategy, you will have the unusual and exciting opportunity to work directly with the Principal & Art Director of the company while you also gain hands-on experience with branding, print and digital projects. This will also afford you the very rare opportunity to learn all aspects of running a design business in the best way possible – by seeing it and doing it. In addition to working collaboratively, you will work autonomously, managing your own projects. Lastly, a key part of valuing your employees is ensuring they have opportunities to learn and grow. At Knox, you will learn something new every day. Besides learning all of the above, each client project will provide a unique learning experience. And, unlike larger agencies, you will be right next to the Principal/Art Director of Knox Design Strategy when the project comes in, as well as other designers and extended team members, ready to continue your growth and development. If you join Knox, you have the opportunity to not only learn, but make a huge contribution and impact to the clients’ businesses. So, why would you not join us?
About the Role
Knox Design Strategy is looking for a Contract Perma-lance Graphic Designer with solid experience in branding and print who will conceptualization and design compelling and brand-relevant creative solutions that meet the client’s business goals and defined-strategies from project initiation through launch. We are looking for someone who is in either Austin, NYC or LA. This person would be required to come into the office at least once a week. The Designer will also have the opportunity to collaborate on the user interface design of website and digital applications and should have an understanding of basic usability principles.
The ideal candidate must be highly motivated, be able to find joy and personal satisfaction in working in an entrepreneurial environment filled with opportunities internally and externally to make a difference. The candidate must be committed to timely completion of the best work possible that surpasses both client and team member’s expectations. Finally, the individual must be passionate about having fun! We are looking for someone who is in either Austin, NYC or LA. This person would be required to come into the office at least once a week.
- 2–5 years of solid design experience (combination of print and digital)
- Logo and brand identity experience (and evident in portfolio)
- Excellent typography skills
- Strong creative thinking and conceptual skills
- Website design capabilities and a basic understanding of user interface design for responsive websites (not required, but a plus!)
- Unwavering attention to detail
- Highly motivated, a self-starter
- Ability to manage own projects and deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Software & Technical Skills
- Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop) – expert understanding of proper set-up of multiple page documents, grid systems and style sheets
- Adobe XD (for web design), a plus but not required
- Basic Word & PowerPoint (Microsoft Office Suite)
- Basic Pages & Keynote (Apple Productivity Suite)
- Graphic Design for Non-Digital Projects: Conceptual Development, Design and Production (60%)
- Develop, design, implement, refine and produce non-digital creative concepts/solutions through final execution
- Review and discuss client-provided materials and project initiation documentation with Art Director and UX/UI Designer to understand design criteria, strategy and project parameters
- As needed, contribute to and develop creative briefs and brand strategy reports
- Review and discuss concepts with Art Director and UX/UI Designer for presentation and approval
- Ensure all electronic files are built responsibly (e.g., smallest size, proper naming conventions, error free); conduct pre-flight quality checks on all native files
- Write printing specs, review proofs and attend press checks
- Prior to releasing job to printer, review project with Art Director and UX/UI Designer
- Proofread/quality-control all work, ensuring error-free deliverables
- Attend and actively participate in internal creative brainstorming sessions to learn, grow and be inspired creatively
- User Interface Design (15%)
- Review and discuss client-provided materials and project initiation documentation with client and Art Director and UX/UI Designer to understand strategy, design criteria and project parameters
- Create and produce compelling digital/interactive solutions based on unique needs of specific users; review and discuss concepts with Art Director and UX/UI Designer for presentation and approval
- Create Adobe XD files and guidelines and aid in the supervision of our development/programming and technical partners/contractors to ensure a flawless development and launch process
- Learn and stay abreast of new trends and programs (and or recent updates)
- Client and Project Management (20%)
- Participate in internal creative brainstorming sessions with the Knox Design Strategy team, client meetings, calls and presentations, and represent Knox Design Strategy on issues related to explaining/presenting design concepts and ensuring projects represent the project parameters (as defined by the creative brief and/or strategy documentation)
- Meet design and production-related deadlines and alert Creative Workflow Manager if deadlines cannot be met for any reason or if extension is required
- Prioritize and schedule project tasks to meet budgets and deadlines under the direction of the Creative Workflow Manager
- Communicate internal or external conceptual obstacles to Creative Workflow Manager and recommend improvement opportunities and solutions
- Organize, maintain files on the server and client archives
- General Studio Responsibilities – Business Development & Administration (5%)
- Attend and contribute honest input during weekly one-on-ones with the Creative Workflow Manager, and monthly one-on-ones with Brandie Knox and participate in formal performance reviews to ensure your own professional development; define and understand yearly and quarterly personal (and studio) goals
- Participate in regular staff meetings and daily huddles
- Check and respond to phone and email messages daily (all written communication, including emails, should be professionally written and without spelling/grammatical errors)
- Enter all hours (billable and non-billable) accurately in time-keeping system (completed daily by end of day).
- Contribute to environment that is efficient, professional, proactive, and team-oriented
Send your cover letter, resumé, salary expectation and a link to your portfolio to Brandie Knox with Graphic Designer Position in the subject line.
Qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview. No calls please. We will only consider candidates who are authorized to work in the U.S. and reside in the NYC area. No relocation package is offered. Compensation is commensurate with applicable experience. We offer paid time off and a contribution towards medical health care benefits.
Please only apply if you are looking for a full-time role.